Archive for May, 2011
Today we have a guest post for on Roberta Murphy, a top Realtor who specializes in San Diego relocation. We’ve known Roberta for over five years and she is who we consult with and refer our clients to when they decide to relocate to the San Diego area. I hope you enjoy her insightful observations about one of the fastest growing segments of our real estate market - the Baby Boomers. This is a topic near and dear to our heart because in the early 90′s Jack and I volunteered and helped start the Area Agency on Aging for Pinellas and Pasco County. We learned about the issues and challenges people face at this stage of life. Almost universally people when asked, will tell you they want to age in place – which means planning ahead now when choosing where to live. Thanks Roberta for sharing…
Baby Boomers – A growing part of Clearwater Beach and San Diego
Baby Boomers have always kind of been the noisy sort, and more and more we are hearing their wishes in unison. And for some reason, I doubt that boomers seeking homes in Clearwater Beach are very different from those seeking a coastal home in San Diego, perhaps a local farmers market ethnic bakery, museums, shopping and dry cleaners. They would happily go days without driving a car–unless it’s a golf cart.
Though home prices in San Diego are still higher than those in Clearwater, the ones that hold their values best in both cities would be those near the beach, sand and other amenities. And that is the lifestyle so many retiring Baby Boomers are seeking.
We work with a number of baby boomers who are either moving to or within the San Diego area, and know that the Haydon team works with similar homebuyers moving to Clearwater. These folks are seeking to downsize and move away from soccer fields, elementary school crossings, cul de sacs, lawns that need mowing and windshields that need de-icing in winter.
What do many of these Boomers want & what are we hearing?
- They want to be able to lock and go. Boomers want to travel and not have to worry about security back home. Urban cottages are charming, but spacious mid and high rise condos also work really well–especially with security systems in place.
- They want to be able to walk no more than a block or two to get a morning cup of coffee or evening tapas. It would also be nice to take that sleeve-wrapped cup of coffee and the morning newspaper to a park or pier bench where one can read and enjoy the scent of fresh-mown grass or the salty sea air. Alternatively, that coffee might fit nicely into a golf cart’s cup holder.
- Boomers also want nearby restaurants, a bookstore, a
- Public transportation is good. In coastal San Diego, many village dwellers live not far from a train station, where the train will take them up and down the coast, where they can wine and dine in San Diego’s Gaslamp area and then catch the train back to Del Mar or Oceanside. No designated driver required.
- Views tend to be important with this group. It is good when they can see the ocean or mountains from their living and bedroom windows. Clearwater Beach has stunning views of its own.
- Proximity to the ocean is very important for many of the clients with whom both Cyndee and we work. It could be an energy attraction between the salt and water in our own bodies and that in the ocean. Then again, it may simply be the sound or smell or the hypnotic appeal of the waves.
- A casual local ambience that accepts shorts and flip flops (or running shoes) is also appealing. Most beach and resort restaurants really don’t care and it makes for easy wardrobe selection. Its also nice to have the climate that allows for this year-round dressing option.
- These Boomers are not seeking a Del Webb lifestyle. They want the energy of commerce, the diversity of people, and ocean proximity. They may or may not care about golf, but if they do, San Diego is loaded with golfing opportunities. Golf in Clearwater is pretty appealing, too!
- Quality medical care is important. San Diego is blessed with excellent medical facilities and physicians. Some of our country’s top medical practitioners have also chosen San Diego as the ideal place to live. Again, Clearwater and Clearwater Beach will also attract medical talent that wants a lifestyle most in the world would envy.
It is interesting to see how Baby Boomers are already beginning to reshape the urban and village landscapes in San Diego County and how the cities and builders are responding.
Roberta asked me what we’re seeing today in the Clearwater Beach area and I explained since we’re completely built out, we see people choosing to live in communities that are more condusive to walking and are properties that are remodeled with universal design in mind and of course nothing beats what our beach lifestyle has to offer (of course I”m a little biased).
How do you think an aging population will change where people choose to live?
Currently 3 Comments »|
The Grande Condos on Sand Key – Clearwater Beach Florida
Sand Key Florida - The Grande on Sand Key is a wonderful place to live or call your vacation home way from home. These Sand Key condos offers some of the finest luxury on Clearwater Beach and Sand Key Florida. There are so many reasons to live here, but these are the ones I hear most frequently from residents and potential real estate buyers
Check out this quick video of this completely updated Grande Condo for sale:
Top 10 Reasons to Live in The Grande Condos on Sand Key
- Large secured private Sand Key condo community – 14 acres on the Gulf of Mexico, gated entrance on beach and street side
- Best of both worlds – gorgeous ocean views and magical intercoastal views offering sunrise & sunsets and dancing night lights
- Great style – Your guest walk under a “garage” to enter your building unlike most Sand Key condos for sale Read the rest of this entry »
Currently 3 Comments »|
Clearwater, FL was not a familiar place to me until I met Cyndee Haydon, Clearwater Realtor® years ago and with her blog site Sandbars to Sunsets it became clear (no pun intended) how Clearwater got it’s name. Love that clear water!
I am a Realtor® in Sacramento, the capitol of California where we have a Mediterranean climate and and rivers running through our city located in the valley floor and surrounded by mountains on the sides.
I was reading Cyndee’s article about how difficult it is for buyers to finance some of the ocean front condos in Clearwater and it brought to the forefront for me how difficult it is for home buyers in Sacramento to finance a condo, as well. Read the rest of this entry »
Currently 6 Comments »|
Clearwater Florida – Fun N Sun Festival always means lots of great events and fun things to do in Clearwater. This year the Blues festival was moved to be part of Clearwater’s annual Fun N Sun festival. Even the City of Clearwater is embracing social media like Facebook & Twitter. They ran a contest and asked you to share your favorite things to do in Clearwater and of course we shared with @myclearwater that we love the daily sunsets at Pier 60 and all the performers, artists and more. So if you’re on twitter, add @myclearwater to your list of people to follow. They are always sharing good info about the City of Clearwater and if you’re not following me, we’d love it connect with you there. You’ll find me @cyndeehaydon.
Well guess what connecting online brought us an unexpected surprise this week because we were the lucky winners of two VIP passes to the Knology Sea-Blues Festival this weekend held in Coachman Park. Man was it awesome – this is just one of the many reasons we love living in Clearwater. Coachman park always has great events going on.
Jack and I had a great time and the weather, food and music couldn’t have been better. I wanted to share some of the fun with you. Hope you enjoyed our short videos of Taj Mahal at my favorite time of day..sunset. Again, we want to thank the City of Clearwater as well as the sponsors and producers of Knology Sea-Blues Festival – it was a wonderful event and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Most of you know we stay busy helping others find their piece of paradise, however today was not about Clearwater Real Estate, it was just all about having fun living in Clearwater.
So Did you go to the festival? Who your favorite performers were? We’d love to hear your thoughts and connect with you on twitter
PS Happy Mothers Day for all the mothers today!!
Currently 2 Comments »|
May 2nd, 2011 Categories: Real Estate News
Today we kick off a new series where each Tuesday we will be having Top Realtors from around the country sharing thoughts about real estate and their local markets. This week we are pleased to have Paula Henry, a top Indianapolis Realtor who also sells Indianapolis homes on the water. Many of our clients come from Indiana and Illinois to buy their Clearwater beach house, aka “their piece of paradise”. Today I think you’ll see that they also have some beautiful waterfront homes in Indiana as well- who knew? I learned some new things myself, so while we love sharing about living in Clearwater Florida …We hope you’ll enjoy this opportunity to learn more about waterfront Indianapolis homes for sale from their local expert……
Currently 8 Comments »|